This necklace features a vintage locket, circa 1940, in 14k rolled yellow and rose gold with ornate hand engraving that is almost chinoiserie in style. The hinge is tight and the locket closes securely. The interior the locket contains 2 frames and 2 plastics.
The chain is hand-assembled from several vintage watch chains and the locket drops from a vintage pocket watch clip. This clip adds versatility to this piece as you can detach the locket and add a different pendant for a new look.
Details and Materials
- locket is 1 3/8" in diameter
- necklace is 32" long but can be clasped shorter
- locket drops an additional 2 1/4" from the base of the necklace
- oxidized sterling silver lobster clasp
- vintage silver and gold-toned watch chain components
- oxidized silver-filled jump rings
Lockets gained popularity during the Victorian era after Queen Victoria wore a mourning locket with a photo inside of her beloved husband Albert every day, setting a fashion trend. Prior to his passing, her husband had gifted her with a charm bracelet with eight lockets, each containing a lock of hair from each of their children.