This necklace features gold and rose gold-filled links from several antique book chain necklaces, c. 1900, chrysoprase drops and handwoven, gold-filled chainmaille.
Details and Materials
- 20" long and can clasp shorter
- gold and rose-gold filled antique book chain necklace links
- gold-filled, bezel set chrysoprase drops
- gold-filled jump rings and spring clasp
- antique book chain links and chrysoprase stones drop 2" from chain
Book chain necklaces featured links shaped like the bindings of books, and were very popular during the Victorian era. This necklace style re-emerged throughout the 20th century during various Victorian revival periods, particularly through the late 1930's - 40's. It is a design that continues to evolve and inspire even in the 21st century.
Chrysoprase is a beautiful, apple green colored gemstone variety of chalcedony. It's color is due to the presence of nickel in the mineral. Chrysoprase is listed as a birthstones for both a May and June. The word chrysoprase comes from the Greek “chrys,” meaning 'gold or yellow' and “prase,” meaning 'green'.