A vintage French medal drops from a necklace made from two vintage silver watch chains and sterling silver handmade chain. The medallion design features a raised profile of Marianne inside of a round garland. Marianne has been the national personification of the French Republic since the French Revolution; before this time, Marianne was known as the Goddess of Liberty.
The front of the medal is inscribed with "Republique Franciase" and in much smaller letting "Ponscarme," who was a renowned French sculptor and medalist. On the reverse side, the inscription reads "Direction Generales Des Douanes" and "Honneur Devouement." It was a civilian medal of honor given by the General Directorate of Customs in the late 1800s/early 1900s.
Details and Materials
- Sterling silver medal is 1" in diameter
- Medal has French Boar's head hallmark indicating at least .800 silver purity
- Length is 20" and can clasp shorter
- Sterling silver, swivel lobster closure in back
- Front opens/closes with antique silver watch clip/spring ring combination